… a unique regional art show & sale with four objectives:
- Showcase the work of local artists
- Explore historical roots of creativity and ingenuity in our community
- Support the wonderful organizations that make Waterloo Region
a better place to live
- Contribute to visual arts education and awareness.
Launched in November 2009, the BOX Art Show & Sale occurs annually on the first weekend after Remembrance Day. BOX partners with a different charitable organization each year, and invites a member of the organization to join our curatorial team. In return for their help, this charity receives a percentage of all BOX art sales.
The BOX Art Show & Sale took its name from the old Boehmer Box Factory where BOX 09 was held and the original artists meet regularly to critique each other’s artwork.
BOX is Unique!
BOX uses a unique two-stage juried art selection process:
In Stage One, regional artists submit four pieces of original art for consideration by an independent three-person panel of art professionals. Approximately twenty to twenty-five artists are selected in Stage One of BOX, and their works include mixed media, painting, photography, prints and sculpture. These chosen artists have the opportunity to prepare additional art to be included in BOX, subject to a Stage Two Jury Review.
The BOX intent is to:
- be respectful of artists’ time and resources
- provide successful applicants with an opportunity to show and sell a significant body of work
- assist artists in developing their art practice
- employ innovative and proactive ways to address issues of art-show attendance
- make new connections to arts enthusiasts and collectors.
The establishment of mutually beneficial partnerships within the community at large is fundamental to the BOX philosophy!
- Cathy Farwell is the BOX Founding Organizer and a mixed-media artist.
- Fatima Garzan is a founding member of BOX and a painter, printmaker and does installations.
- Denise Strong is a photographer, painter, creates structures in ferro cement, and is a founding member of BOX.
- Suzanne Luke (Curator, Robert Langen Gallery, Wilfrid Laurier University) is the BOX Curatorial Advisor and an Art Juror. Regional art gallery directors, curators, arts educators and mature artists volunteer their time and expertise as art jurors for BOX
- Regional art gallery directors, curators, arts educators and mature artists volunteer their time and expertise as art jurors for BOX.
These wonderful individuals and organizations were instrumental in the development of the BOX Art Show & Sale:
- Capacity Waterloo Region
- J.M. Drama Alumni
- The Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation
- Liteme Theatre Services
- Perimeter Development Corporation
- The Registry Theatre
- Craig Beattie
- Don Bourgeois
- Cathy Brothers
- Diane Casselli
- Richard Casselli
- Cathy Farwell
- Jessica Farwell
- Roger Farwell
- Sarah Farwell
- Fatima Garzan
- David Gibson
- Jason Gibson
- Alex Hoch
- Allan Hoch
- Deb Hoch
- Bill Klos
- Alex Likholet
- Irina Likholet
- Suzanne Luke
- Darlean Morris
- Jacqui Murphy
- Michelle Salter
- Erik Sansom
- Rosemary Smith
- Michael Stickney
- Denise Strong
- Andrew Wilding